Wednesday, January 7, 2015

UNFINISHED PROJECTS | TAKE 1



As the new year was approaching and almost all I could think of was my resolutions for 2015, one particular item popped in to my mind everyday for the last couple of months: Unfinished projects. 
 
I can't help but feel sad or angry when I remember how excited I was to start that new project and how all the excitement turned into "I don't have time to finish it now that I accepted this new client/student" or "oh, this is such a difficult project" or "I need to spend more time with my family" or "I need to have more Me Time" and well, I could come up with excuses all day long. 

That is why I planned my way out of all of this partially-made stuff. I have two options: 

finish them or let them go.


Today I want to share with you a little bit more about how I'm doing it.


WHAT ARE THE UNFINISHED PROJECTS?

First step was to list all projects I could remember and/or find. That's the moment I open drawers in my scrap place, go through digital file folders, and browse blog archives and planners that were left behind at some point in the past.

Very important note! As much as I wanted to add projects I was (and still am) very excited to do, I only listed the ones I actually started. Can you imagine the size of such list if I had included those? 


TAGGING THE PROJECTS

Tagging the items in your list is a great way to narrow it down. I have two methods of tagging. 

I sometimes use stars to prioritize my to-do lists and it's a method that can be used here, too. I work from 1 star (it's ok to let it wait a little more) to 5 stars (it should've been done already).

Another great way of tagging I adapted from 
Simple Scrapper is to use two different tags; one will reflect how much you are inspired (I) to work on that project and one will reflect on how much it's a priority (P).

The difference between the two methods is that with the I and P tags, you can visualize the ones you are more likely to start again and actually finish because you are inspired by it. Sometimes we force ourselves to do something we don't feel inspired to do and I think that's a difficult approach to creative adventures since creativity is directly influenced by inspiration.


CHOOSING THE ONES I AM WORKING ON

When choosing the projects I will work on, some elements have to be considered. 
  • Time: How long will it take me? Do I have this time available now?
  • Supplies: What supplies will I need? Do I need to buy a lot of materials or can I use the supplies I already have? If I need additional supplies, do I have the money to spend on it now?
  • Space: Do I need to clean or organize some things in advance or can I start it right now?
  • My personality: Am I going to be more motivated if I see projects finished? If so, it's better to start with smaller projects first. While Project Life can take a long time to be finished, a mini-album can be crossed off the list in a few days.
Reflecting on those elements will help me realize how likely I am to finish a project.


TAKING ONE AT A TIME

I have goals to achieve during this year as I mentioned in January Goals post and they have to share my time equally otherwise I won't have much done. That's why I decided to pick only one unfinished project at a time and then, when it's finished I can choose the next one and repeat that until all my desired unfinished projects are finished. That way I may also choose to have a break in between if I don't feel like working on unfinished projects or if I have a pretty busy moment or unforeseen situations, etc.


FOCUSING ON THE OUTCOME

For me, sometimes it's difficult to stick to a plan or a project, so focusing on the outcome helps me to continue on getting the project completed. I have two big difficulties that are contradictory. I get really bored when I'm working on a project that requires repetition - using the same kit or color scheme throughout an album, using the same sketch for most pages of an album, doing the same exercise every day, eating the same food every meal (you get the idea, right?) and I get stuck when I'm working on a project that requires too many different actions. 

Are you that complicated?!
MY ANSWER: I guess I am. hehe

This is why focusing on the outcome/end result helps me not only stick to the plan, but also to rethink and replan if I find it is necessary.

PHOTO FROM SIMPLE SCRAPPER BLOG

QUICK TIP

I am a Premium member of Simple Scrapper and Jennifer offers a Start Fresh Workbook every year. I love using her Project Planners. If you want to learn more, please visit her site by clicking in the filliate link here. I appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment